I posted this on another blog, but a friend suggested I also post it here where I actually get a little traffic. So here it is:
I have some tips on making it more likely that people will read the contents of your posts, but I can’t say that these tips are universal because they are just based on my preferences. So, here are some ideas that will make (at least) me more likely to read your posts:
- First of all, shorter is better. I don’t have all day. If it’s really long I probably won’t read it. Usually you can say whatever you’re trying to say in a much more concise way. Try that. If that doesn’t work, you should break it into more than one post.
- Also I like short paragraphs. It breaks up the post and makes me feel like I’m getting somewhere. One long chunk of text is quite daunting. It’s like looking up at a cliff. Is it worth getting to the top (or, in this case, the end of the post)?
- Something I like is lists. They are normally very concise and make you feel like you are breezing through the post.
- I also like it when people Bold and/or underline main points, especially when they do the paragraph type list where the main bullet point is highlighted (through bold and/or underline) and the explanation follows in regular formatting.
- At the same time don’t go crazy with font formatting. It looks annoying and I don’t know how to interpret all the different font formats. Why is one section in italics and another bold? Should I whisper one and shout the other? Maybe I should yell one in an angry voice and the other in an excited voice? Keep it simple; don’t overdo it.
So that is what I like. I can’t say for sure that anyone else agrees with me. I am lazy so this whole list basically boils down to: make it easy for me to read and to read quickly.
What about you? What draws you into a blog post? What turns you away from one?